26 February - 11 March 2018
Fairtrade Fortnight 2018
Wow, what a Fairtrade Fortnight!
We had such a great time during Fairtrade Fortnight, visiting schools across the UK and working with Fairtrade producers to talk to as many people as possible about Fairtrade! We hope you had a brilliant time too – we’d love to hear about it – why not enter our Fairtrade Fortnight Schools Award and tell us all about your events for the chance to win £350 for your school’s Fairtrade activities!
Fairtrade Fortnight may be over but you can still use our brand new range of films, games, lesson plans, events guides and even Virtual Reality headsets to inspire wonderful whole school learning experiences.
In fact, we would love to hear your thoughts on them – we’ve created a short survey to find out what worked and what didn’t work so we can keep on improving year after year. Submit your survey by 8th May and you could win a Fairtrade workshop for your class or a school assembly from one of the Fairtrade Schools team.
And don’t forget to share your photos or Fairtrade displays with us on Twitter @FairtradeUKEd or see what other people got up to by searching #FairtradeFortnight
Here are all of your Fairtrade Fortnight 2018 resources in one handy place!
These resources are all completely free and cover both our usual subjects areas like PSHE and Geography but also new ones including Music, Black History, Business studies and English.
Virtual Reality Field Trip
Get your Fairtrade Fortnight Virtual Reality Headsets here for just £4.20 a set and come on a wonderful journey with Samuel the coffee farmer.
Coobana Banana Co-op
- Come on in to Coobana Film – learn more about how bananas are grown and how Fairtrade has made a difference to banana farmers from the Coobana cooperative in Panama.
- Coobana: Fairtrade Fortnight Assembly 2018 – This assembly is a fun way to introduce the importance of Fairtrade with a short role play. There is an accompanying Powerpoint with images, or these can be printed and displayed.
- Introducing Coobana Banana Co-operative – quiz and discussion to introduce Central America, Panama and the Banana trade.
- Songs and Poems of Banana workers – Songs like Harry Belafonte’s Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) are great for assemblies, now learn what they mean and gain an understanding of the struggle of Banana workers to gain respect and fair working conditions.
- Timeline display – a lesson plan to learn the history of the Coobana cooperative and to create a display for Fairtrade Fortnight
- Co-operative game – Food Corp vs Farmers is game where children have to learn to work together to win independence from a global corporation
- Team Board Game – Try this team version of the Coobana board game in the Event Pack to help students learn about Fairtrade, Coobana and the banana trade
A new game for EYFS and Key Stage 1
- Fairtrade Lotto – a fun new game for Early Years and Primary schools to identify Fairtrade products. Try it with with a platter of samples to have afterwards.
Fundraise for Fairtrade communities
Your students will love getting involved in bake sales, quizzes, walkathons, or a dress-up day where kids can go bananas on a Fairtrade-themed outfit! Money raised will support farmers to fight for a fairer deal so they can break out of poverty. You can order your free fundraising donation box here. Simply fold it together and encourage people to donate at your event.
Watch this space for more updates soon including a video and assembly on Coobana. If you have any queries then feel free to email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
There’s also more information on the main Fairtrade website here; http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/Get-Involved/Current-campaigns/Fairtrade-Fortnight